November 2009

Interested in creating video project for a wedding, life tribute, memorial or life event?Go to multimedia memoirs here.

Hello Everyone.

This may be the most important issue of this newsletter ever published. It concerns you, your computer's data, your brains and this newsletter.

This month, we talk about the best way to save your data (i.e., back it up); we also discuss how to save your brain (hint: you're doing it right now). And lastly, Senior Surf is adding a link to this newsletter which will allow you to make a donation in the amount of your choosing on it's secure web space (or via mail). This link will be present on the remainder of all newsletters (read below for more).

Happy time change, stay warm and well-lit, and for goodness sake, back up your data!

Dave


Backing Up Your Computer: Just Do It

About six months ago, a nightmare occurred. The "blue screen of death" is what some call it. Others call it a crash. I called it other four letter words that I cannot repeat here in this article.

Suddenly, without warning, my poor little (or not so little) computer went belly up on me, dead on arrival with no way to access my over 100 GB of data. As a private business owner that has dozens of projects happening at once, this was, as I said, a nightmare.

Thankfully, I backed up.

What did I back up and how did I back up is the question. I used to use an external hard drive to back up my stuff, but I soon began to realize that that was too labor intensive and sort of sloppy and did not back up my data in "real time" (meaning right away, as I created it).

Then I discovered Carbonite.

Carbonite is a secure password protected, online service that backs up all your data as you create it, with an unlimited amount of storage space. I write a letter, a spreadsheet, download photos, music, you name it, and within minutes (or seconds) of creating it, Carbonite is backing it up ensuring my peace of mind. If I accidently delete a file, Carbonite has it backed up on it's server.

Once I reinstalled my operating system and got my computer up and running, all my data was there backed up ready to be restored to my newly repaired computer. I cannot tell you how grateful I was for this service.

If you are interested in using it, email me (reply to this email) and I can send you an "invitation" to use it. The cost is reasonable at $54.95 a year (less if you do multiple years). I will send you something right away and you can get started within minutes and all your stuff will be securely backed lest disaster strikes.

And by the way, they have been written up by the NY Times, Wall Street Journal, CNET and are backed by the Better Business Bureau.

Make a Donation

Senior Surf Computer Education is a non-profit 501(c)3 organization whose mission is to bridge the digital divide for older adults on all things technology. That is one of the reasons that this free newsletter exists. It is open to anyone, anytime and it is designed to provide a free educational forum for Senior Surf's friends, clients and constituents.

The time and resources for creating this newsletter are voluntary and exist to further the greater mission of Senior Surf and to benefit you.

Please make a donation to Senior Surf by clicking the button below. If you donate, your name (if you like), will be posted with the others who have donated in the past (click here to view). Since we are a 501(c)3, your donation is tax deductible and we can send you a receipt within one week.

If you would like to donate to Senior Surf through check (and not online), you can send it to:

Senior Surf
442A Guerrero Street

San Francisco, CA 94110

Thank you for your continued support.

Donate Here!

No comments:

Post a Comment